I Knew It Would Happen

Every kids cuts their own hair. I am sure I did. Mom? Well, it finally happened, Claire cut her own hair. I knew she would, I was just waiting for the day. Thankfully it wasn't that bad.

A while ago I was feeding Charlie and Claire was sitting on the living room floor coloring and cutting paper, something she does at least once a day. She quietly got up and headed towards the back of the house, towards the bathroom and her bedroom. Not really paying that much attention to her, I assumed she went to the bathroom. As I was playing with Charlie and feeding him the most delicious pureed squash, I finally realized that I didn't hear the toilet flush or the sink turn on. Uh oh. I called out Claire's name as I started to walk back to her bedroom. She met me in the hall and said this:

"Mommy, I made a really big mistake."

What could she possibly have done? I was thinking maybe she colored on the walls or in her books. (She has been known to add her fine art to many a pages.) I said:

"Sweet girl, what did you do?"

By this time she had stopped twisting her hair (she does that constantly) and I could tell something was wrong. She lead me into her room and showed me her bed. It had hair all over it.

"Oh no!" I said. "Did you cut your hair?!!! Ahhhh!"

"It was a really big mistake! So sorry Mommy!" she said with her hands covering her mouth.

I wanted to be mad but I just couldn't be. Don't get me wrong, I probably looked furious, but I think it was just shock. I was actually quite sad because she had cut her curls off. The curls that I had been patiently waiting for to grow long! And with the way her hair was growing, I didn't think the curls would come back. It was straight until about the bottom of her ears, then it would start to curl.

I looked at her face and in all seriousness she asked:

"Did it turn brown?"
"What?"
"My hair. Did it turn brown like Rapunzel?"

As soon as she said that, I couldn't help but laugh! How cute is that? I gave her a big hug and told her, "no, it didn't turn brown, but if you cut it again, it might!" (Was that ok to tell a little fib? I am hoping that it kind of scared her so she won't cut it again!)

We had a good little talk about things that we could cut with scissors and hair was not one of them. I hope she understood.

Luckily I have a friend who has a salon and she agreed to even up Claire's hair. Here are some before and after shots... Thankfully, Claire only cut her hair to her chin on her left side. I love you Claire, but so help me... if you cut your curls off again...

(As of today, it looks like they are coming back!)

Before:


After:


Comments

Danielle said…
oh man...I am dreading that day too, but I kind of love her haircut. She is so cute...any hair looks good on her.
Susan said…
Claire looks really cute in her grown-up hairdo. Don't worry, it will grow out soon enough. I love the part about Rapunzel! You handled everything wonderfully, Emily.
Taylor's said…
Super duber darling! I am a sucker little blondes with short hair! I love it!