Spring at the Corner House

We found out this spring there are about six deer that live across the street in an empty lot. You would think that the empty lot would be full of yummy things to eat, like grass, shrubs, wildflowers... you know, yummy deer stuff. Well, apparently not, because they all decided to cross the street and eat stuff in my yard. First it was the Boxleaf Euonymus then the Massachesetts Kinnikinnick. I was pretty mad about the later, until I noticed my beloved tulips! The tulips looked like they had been cut flush to the ground with scissors! I couldn't believe it. I turned my head to see another grouping of tulips gone. I was furious. (I almost swore. Well, I kind of did.)

Here's why I was so mad: 1) Tulips are my favorite flower and I was really looking forward to finally have some in my yard, and 2) I was thinking of all the money I spent on those bulbs! Will they survive? Will they come back next year?

I panicked and called my mom. She reassured me that they would be OK and that they probably wouldn't bloom this year, but that they would bloom next year. So, I prepared myself for a horrible spring. A tulip-less spring. I did find one thing to be thankful for, deer don't like daffodils or iris. And, I have lots of those.

Tim, being the great husband that he is, went and bought some deer repelant spray from Lowe's that we sprayed over all the tulips, chomped and not chomped, and every other plant in my yard (just to be safe). I think that it has worked, because the deer haven't eaten anything since. Although I see them once in a while looming across the street...

About two weeks ago I was cleaning up my flower beds to get them ready for spring when I saw a tulip bud coming up out of the center of one of the deer-eaten bulbs. I literally gasped! I was so happy. Then I noticed one more, then two more, it was like Christmas morning! They were alive! Before I knew it, there were red tulips popping up everywhere! YAY!

Since then I have sprayed and sprayed that deer repelant. Those deer won't beat me twice. (Noticed the chomped tulip leaves. Ooooh, those deer are going to pay. Ummm, just kidding, that sounded a little crazy.)




Comments

Toria said…
yea for deer repellent and good husband and blooming springtime!!!!
lauren said…
wahoo for getting the best out of those deer! who knew they'd come down so low? i love the new blog design, and the photos you took. they are lovely.
amy said…
i love the corner house.
i love the new design.
i love the tulips.
i love that you are sharing your green thumb with me!
Michelle @ Twig said…
I feel like saying this every time you change your header, but I really love it!
Taylor's said…
Love the photos.
Love the new look of the blog.
Love the tulips.
And I wish you could use your green thumb at my house.
Rob & Megg said…
We have the same problem...I have yet to have a Spring with Tulips in my front yard. Those stinkin' deer this year ate my Hostas- I got some Deer spray as well! Each year they nibble on something they didn't last year! Good luck and I feel your PAIN!