For two weeks now I have had a really sore back, neck and shoulders. The kind of sore where you can't turn your neck or lift your arms to put your hair in a pony tail. I have had this same neck/back problem two times before, the worst being some years ago during Christmas break. I actually cried for 2 days straight. It was horrible. This time however, is not as bad, but it has lasted for 2 weeks. What is worse? Crazy pain for 2 days, or, moderate-to-bad consistent pain for 14 days? I pick the later.
Before when I have had these crazy neck/back pains I didn't have children. I just would lay down, take it real easy and let myself heal. Now, that I have sweet Claire (she really is sweet), I can't just lay down and take it easy. I have to do stuff. Everyday stuff like... lifting a twenty pound toddler up to the changing table to change diapers (six time a day), lifting said toddler in and out of her crib, lifting her in and out of the carseat, carrying laundry up and down the stairs, carrying groceries in from the car, bending over to pick up toys and puzzles, bending over to give baths... all stuff that needs to be done. Stuff that doesn't really let a sore back heal all that well.
So, this morning after two weeks of sleepless nights, heating pads, long hot showers and some tears, I finally went to the doctor. I woke up with pain in my right arm and tingling in my elbow. This hasn't happened before, the tingling part. Thinking it was something to do with nerves, I called Tim and made him come home from work so I could go to the doctor and get it checked out.
My doctor visit:
Me: I have had a sore back... blah, blah, blah. This morning I woke up with a tingling in my elbow, blah, blah, blah.
Doc: Well, let's check you out. Relax... (holding my arms) looks fine. Relax again... looks great. OK, now push... pull. Push again... pull. OK, put your chin to your chest... OK. Is it sore here (touching my back)?
Me: Ahhh (grimice), yeah.
Doc: OK, it is just sore muscles. All your reactions were fine, looks like there is no nerve damage. I will give you some Ibuprofen and you should be fine.
Me: (in my head) That's it? I just spent $25 for that? Calm down. He is a good doctor. I am over reacting. Ummm, OK, great. Thanks!
On the drive home I started to cry. I felt stupid for going in, bad for spending $25 on a co-pay and overwhelmed that I had to go home lift things, namely Claire. I thought, I am never going to heal.
Then the magic came in the form of a little orange bottle. Crazy strength, prescribed Ibuprofen. It was heaven in a bottle. I took one of those bad boys and I have been feeling like a million bucks! Claire and I had a dance party, took a walk outside, cleaned the kitchen, made dinner, made cookies, and all without a single tear. Yay!
Thanks, Doctor ForgotYourName.
Thanks, Ibuprofen.
and...
Thanks, Tim for giving Claire a bath and putting her to bed, even though I felt better.
You know, it really is true. When mom is happy, everyone is happy.
Before when I have had these crazy neck/back pains I didn't have children. I just would lay down, take it real easy and let myself heal. Now, that I have sweet Claire (she really is sweet), I can't just lay down and take it easy. I have to do stuff. Everyday stuff like... lifting a twenty pound toddler up to the changing table to change diapers (six time a day), lifting said toddler in and out of her crib, lifting her in and out of the carseat, carrying laundry up and down the stairs, carrying groceries in from the car, bending over to pick up toys and puzzles, bending over to give baths... all stuff that needs to be done. Stuff that doesn't really let a sore back heal all that well.
So, this morning after two weeks of sleepless nights, heating pads, long hot showers and some tears, I finally went to the doctor. I woke up with pain in my right arm and tingling in my elbow. This hasn't happened before, the tingling part. Thinking it was something to do with nerves, I called Tim and made him come home from work so I could go to the doctor and get it checked out.
My doctor visit:
Me: I have had a sore back... blah, blah, blah. This morning I woke up with a tingling in my elbow, blah, blah, blah.
Doc: Well, let's check you out. Relax... (holding my arms) looks fine. Relax again... looks great. OK, now push... pull. Push again... pull. OK, put your chin to your chest... OK. Is it sore here (touching my back)?
Me: Ahhh (grimice), yeah.
Doc: OK, it is just sore muscles. All your reactions were fine, looks like there is no nerve damage. I will give you some Ibuprofen and you should be fine.
Me: (in my head) That's it? I just spent $25 for that? Calm down. He is a good doctor. I am over reacting. Ummm, OK, great. Thanks!
On the drive home I started to cry. I felt stupid for going in, bad for spending $25 on a co-pay and overwhelmed that I had to go home lift things, namely Claire. I thought, I am never going to heal.
Then the magic came in the form of a little orange bottle. Crazy strength, prescribed Ibuprofen. It was heaven in a bottle. I took one of those bad boys and I have been feeling like a million bucks! Claire and I had a dance party, took a walk outside, cleaned the kitchen, made dinner, made cookies, and all without a single tear. Yay!
Thanks, Doctor ForgotYourName.
Thanks, Ibuprofen.
and...
Thanks, Tim for giving Claire a bath and putting her to bed, even though I felt better.
You know, it really is true. When mom is happy, everyone is happy.
Comments
And now, just don't OVER do it now that you have the meds in you and you are feeling better; I have done that one two many times and it is not a good thing.
I am glad that Tim was a big help; next time just call; I am sure Kate and Malisia would LOVE to play with Claire!
and you were carrying my baby all over on sunday! i'm sorry!
TELL ME NEXT TIME YOU NEED HELP!!!
so glad you are feeling better.