Since the first berm was such a hit, I thought, hey, why not have more?
I bring you Berm 2 and Berm 3.
(I now call them The Tree Berm and The Car Berm. The first berm is just called The Berm. Berm 2 is The Tree Berm, the berm where I planted 2 trees. Berm 3 is The Car Berm, the berm that runs parallel to the driveway, the driveway where I park my car. You got that straight? There will be a test later. Alright, so maybe no test, but I will refer to them as their new names, so remember them, OK?)
Last Saturday (September 27th), Tim, Annie, Liz and I started digging up our horrible HORRIBLE grass to make way for the new berms. (I forgot to tell you all that we have killed our grass. We HATE our grass and plan on laying sod next summer/fall. It is just the worst grass in the world! It was itchy, scratchy, and no fun to play on. So, that is why is looks a tad yellow...) It was backbreaking work and I am very thankful that Annie and Liz would take a whole day to come help us!
Tim and I dug The Car Berm on Friday night so we could have a head start on Saturday morning. Our intentions were to dig The Tree Berm as well on Saturday, but the root system of the grass was just too harsh. We could barley get our shovels in the ground! So, Tim rented a rototiller and broke up most of the roots. There is still tons of digging to do this week, but this gave us a great head start.


After tilling and raking a bit, Tim, Annie and I planted the trees. (Liz watched the babies, a way harder job then planting!) I bought 2 Redspire Pear trees on sale about month ago from a nursery and have been tending to them just waiting for the right time to plant. These trees do not produce regular pears, but have a small flower in the spring, a VERY tiny non-edible fruit in the summer, and bright red leaves in the fall. We also planted a small Persia Perodia next to the house/sidewalk in The Car Berm. We have lots to do still, rip out old sprinklers and pipes, shape and edge each berm, mix in good new soil and compost, transplant tons of plants from other areas of my yard and plant over 200 bulbs (yay!).

I will keep you updated on my progess. I really love to do yard work!
Here are some pics of Claire on the day we "bermed." (At the Yates house, we now use the word "berm" as a verb. You can to if you want. It's pretty awesome.) She looks a little scary/crazy in the last one... it might be the snarly smile, the crooked looking teeth and way she is holding the shovel...




I bring you Berm 2 and Berm 3.
(I now call them The Tree Berm and The Car Berm. The first berm is just called The Berm. Berm 2 is The Tree Berm, the berm where I planted 2 trees. Berm 3 is The Car Berm, the berm that runs parallel to the driveway, the driveway where I park my car. You got that straight? There will be a test later. Alright, so maybe no test, but I will refer to them as their new names, so remember them, OK?)
Last Saturday (September 27th), Tim, Annie, Liz and I started digging up our horrible HORRIBLE grass to make way for the new berms. (I forgot to tell you all that we have killed our grass. We HATE our grass and plan on laying sod next summer/fall. It is just the worst grass in the world! It was itchy, scratchy, and no fun to play on. So, that is why is looks a tad yellow...) It was backbreaking work and I am very thankful that Annie and Liz would take a whole day to come help us!
Tim and I dug The Car Berm on Friday night so we could have a head start on Saturday morning. Our intentions were to dig The Tree Berm as well on Saturday, but the root system of the grass was just too harsh. We could barley get our shovels in the ground! So, Tim rented a rototiller and broke up most of the roots. There is still tons of digging to do this week, but this gave us a great head start.
After tilling and raking a bit, Tim, Annie and I planted the trees. (Liz watched the babies, a way harder job then planting!) I bought 2 Redspire Pear trees on sale about month ago from a nursery and have been tending to them just waiting for the right time to plant. These trees do not produce regular pears, but have a small flower in the spring, a VERY tiny non-edible fruit in the summer, and bright red leaves in the fall. We also planted a small Persia Perodia next to the house/sidewalk in The Car Berm. We have lots to do still, rip out old sprinklers and pipes, shape and edge each berm, mix in good new soil and compost, transplant tons of plants from other areas of my yard and plant over 200 bulbs (yay!).
I will keep you updated on my progess. I really love to do yard work!
Here are some pics of Claire on the day we "bermed." (At the Yates house, we now use the word "berm" as a verb. You can to if you want. It's pretty awesome.) She looks a little scary/crazy in the last one... it might be the snarly smile, the crooked looking teeth and way she is holding the shovel...
Comments
It was fun to see you last weekend as always!
I cannot wait to see more pictures!
Happy Fall!