It was a good thing, this enrichment activity taking over my life. I learned more about patience. I learned about delgation. I learned that sometimes I just can't do it all, even though I want to. I learned the wonderful history of my small little town and beautiful tabernacle. And, I learned more about the dear women in my ward. But, most importantly, through the months of preperation, the really late nights, the meetings, the emails and the 3 trips to Costco, I learned that service is not only good for those I serve, but really, REALLY good for me.

Me, along with 7 other (amazing!) women, planned an all day Enrichment Activity focusing on 3 things:
1) The history of the City of Bountiful, Bountiful homes and the Bountiful Tabernacle
2) Being self-sufficient like the early pioneers with a modern twist, i.e., thirft shopping, turning old into new and food storage/menu planning
3) Ways to preserve our furture and make our history by journaling, blogging and doing family history.
It was a great day!
It all started at 9:00 am with breakfast and a speaker. We ate homemade breads with jams and jellies while listening to a wonderful speaker talk about the Bountiful Tabernacle. This is especially interesting to my ward because this is where we meet each Sunday to attend church. Did you know that it is the oldest LDS church building still in use by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints? It was built starting in 1857 and finishing 1863 (5 years before the Salt Lake Tabernacle) by the Bountiful saints with the supervision of Brigham Young. This tabernacle was not only a place to attend church for those early pioneers but it was also their community gathering place. All the pews and the pulpit were moveable as to accommodate the town dances and holiday parties. The Tabernacle also served as temporary housing for the Saints in the early days. The basement housed families while they were waiting for their own homes to be built. Now the basement serves as classrooms.The building has had two additions put on. The first was in 1956 which was a cultural hall, classrooms and some offices. Then in 1977, the 1956 addition was torn down and what is currently there now was built. It is a beautiful place to go and learn the gospel and of the Savior. I am thankful that I have such a wonderful and historical place to worship.
Bountiful Tabernacle late 1800s

Inside the Chapel mid 1940s

Rededication 1977

At 10:00 am we split into groups and headed out for the Home Tour. We scheduled 5 homes in our surrounding area that had some type historical signifigance and toured each one. Each sister was given a handmade bag stuffed with a water bottle, a granola bar (most of the women walked from house to house so both the water and the granola bar was there for a little "pick-me-up"), a pen and booklet. The booklet consisted of stories of some of the homes, a history of Bountiful and the Tabernacle, fun facts about Bountiful pioneers, references to the 3 classes that were taught and some recipes. The purpose of the book was not only for the sisters to have something to take home as a momento of the day, but also something they use throughout the activity, there were places to take notes and photos to reference.
The cute little bags (my bag is now in the possession of Claire, she loves it!) (Sorry about the fuzzy picture, my camera is not the best)

Here are some spreads of the booklet:





After the Home Tour we served lunch around 12:30. We wanted it to feel pioneer-ish, so we had chili, cornbread, watermelon and pies. A fun little twist at lunch was chili and pie cookoff! Sisters that wanted to participate brought their best homemade chili in crockpots and homemade pies. (Do Marie Calendar's pies qualify as homemade? I have to say, they were pretty good!) There were little tasting cups and name signs by each chili pot and pie so the sisters could make an educated choice on whose was the best. We had voting ballots at each table which were collected in a cowboy hat and later tallied. Alicia won the chili category with "Sweet 3 Bean Chili" and Ronda Perkes beat all the other pies with her "Creame Key Lime Pie." It was a lot of fun!



The table decorations were fun to do, especially the flowers. I jumped on the opportunity to do the all the flower arrangements. On each table were a pair of cowboy boots with wild and unruly sunflowers spilling over the top and on the food tables were 2 big "Bellagios." I did the one at the pie table and Amy did the one at the chili table. I was pretty proud of myself for 2 reasons;
1) because I did not spend one penny on the flowers. All the greenery was cut out of Amy's yard the night before, and the sunflowers were cut on some crazy, weird back road in North Salt Lake at 6:30 that morning. (I made Tim get up and go with me because I was scared to go alone. Claire even woke up and came along!)
and,
2) I felt like it was something my mom would of done. If anyone knows my mother, she is really, REALLY good at flowers. While I was arranging, I tried to think, "what would my mom do?" "Where would she put this?" I think it worked. Mom, what do you think?


After lunch we attended 3 classes all taught by sisters in the ward from 1:30 to 3:30:
1) Canning with Candice Draper
2) Wear It Out, Use It Up with Carolee Wright, Andrea Davis and Amy Redden
3) Your Heritage Today with Shonna Payne
The classes were fantastic! They all did such a great job! I learned more about the ins and outs of thrift shopping, how to plan menus and shop on a budget, how to re-use something in a new light, the basics of canning (I am pumped about this!) and how to effectively start my own family history. (Who would of thought that this here blogging thing is family history in the making!)
After a long day (starting at 5:45 am and ending at 5:30 pm) I was ready to go home. But, I was not ready to leave the experiences of that day behind. I am thankful that I had the opportunity to plan this activity and serve the dear sisters in my ward. Thanks, Amy for letting me be a part of something so wonderful!
PS- I designed all the pieces for the activity as well. The posters, flyers, sign-ups and booklet.

Me, along with 7 other (amazing!) women, planned an all day Enrichment Activity focusing on 3 things:
1) The history of the City of Bountiful, Bountiful homes and the Bountiful Tabernacle
2) Being self-sufficient like the early pioneers with a modern twist, i.e., thirft shopping, turning old into new and food storage/menu planning
3) Ways to preserve our furture and make our history by journaling, blogging and doing family history.
It was a great day!
It all started at 9:00 am with breakfast and a speaker. We ate homemade breads with jams and jellies while listening to a wonderful speaker talk about the Bountiful Tabernacle. This is especially interesting to my ward because this is where we meet each Sunday to attend church. Did you know that it is the oldest LDS church building still in use by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints? It was built starting in 1857 and finishing 1863 (5 years before the Salt Lake Tabernacle) by the Bountiful saints with the supervision of Brigham Young. This tabernacle was not only a place to attend church for those early pioneers but it was also their community gathering place. All the pews and the pulpit were moveable as to accommodate the town dances and holiday parties. The Tabernacle also served as temporary housing for the Saints in the early days. The basement housed families while they were waiting for their own homes to be built. Now the basement serves as classrooms.The building has had two additions put on. The first was in 1956 which was a cultural hall, classrooms and some offices. Then in 1977, the 1956 addition was torn down and what is currently there now was built. It is a beautiful place to go and learn the gospel and of the Savior. I am thankful that I have such a wonderful and historical place to worship.
Bountiful Tabernacle late 1800s

Inside the Chapel mid 1940s

Rededication 1977

At 10:00 am we split into groups and headed out for the Home Tour. We scheduled 5 homes in our surrounding area that had some type historical signifigance and toured each one. Each sister was given a handmade bag stuffed with a water bottle, a granola bar (most of the women walked from house to house so both the water and the granola bar was there for a little "pick-me-up"), a pen and booklet. The booklet consisted of stories of some of the homes, a history of Bountiful and the Tabernacle, fun facts about Bountiful pioneers, references to the 3 classes that were taught and some recipes. The purpose of the book was not only for the sisters to have something to take home as a momento of the day, but also something they use throughout the activity, there were places to take notes and photos to reference.
The cute little bags (my bag is now in the possession of Claire, she loves it!) (Sorry about the fuzzy picture, my camera is not the best)
Here are some spreads of the booklet:





After the Home Tour we served lunch around 12:30. We wanted it to feel pioneer-ish, so we had chili, cornbread, watermelon and pies. A fun little twist at lunch was chili and pie cookoff! Sisters that wanted to participate brought their best homemade chili in crockpots and homemade pies. (Do Marie Calendar's pies qualify as homemade? I have to say, they were pretty good!) There were little tasting cups and name signs by each chili pot and pie so the sisters could make an educated choice on whose was the best. We had voting ballots at each table which were collected in a cowboy hat and later tallied. Alicia won the chili category with "Sweet 3 Bean Chili" and Ronda Perkes beat all the other pies with her "Creame Key Lime Pie." It was a lot of fun!
The table decorations were fun to do, especially the flowers. I jumped on the opportunity to do the all the flower arrangements. On each table were a pair of cowboy boots with wild and unruly sunflowers spilling over the top and on the food tables were 2 big "Bellagios." I did the one at the pie table and Amy did the one at the chili table. I was pretty proud of myself for 2 reasons;
1) because I did not spend one penny on the flowers. All the greenery was cut out of Amy's yard the night before, and the sunflowers were cut on some crazy, weird back road in North Salt Lake at 6:30 that morning. (I made Tim get up and go with me because I was scared to go alone. Claire even woke up and came along!)
and,
2) I felt like it was something my mom would of done. If anyone knows my mother, she is really, REALLY good at flowers. While I was arranging, I tried to think, "what would my mom do?" "Where would she put this?" I think it worked. Mom, what do you think?
After lunch we attended 3 classes all taught by sisters in the ward from 1:30 to 3:30:
1) Canning with Candice Draper
2) Wear It Out, Use It Up with Carolee Wright, Andrea Davis and Amy Redden
3) Your Heritage Today with Shonna Payne
The classes were fantastic! They all did such a great job! I learned more about the ins and outs of thrift shopping, how to plan menus and shop on a budget, how to re-use something in a new light, the basics of canning (I am pumped about this!) and how to effectively start my own family history. (Who would of thought that this here blogging thing is family history in the making!)
After a long day (starting at 5:45 am and ending at 5:30 pm) I was ready to go home. But, I was not ready to leave the experiences of that day behind. I am thankful that I had the opportunity to plan this activity and serve the dear sisters in my ward. Thanks, Amy for letting me be a part of something so wonderful!
PS- I designed all the pieces for the activity as well. The posters, flyers, sign-ups and booklet.
Comments
(and i am glad that you learned the basics of canning...you'll have to teach me...)
You're so crafty, too.
Wonderful work!
Tabernacle many times, but have never gone in. It was interesting to learn about its history. I am glad your enrichment went well.