I did it. I am a real mom now. I made jam.
Strawberry Freezer Jam.
For some reason I have always felt that once I cross over into sewing, canning and big time gardening I will have made it. Made it at being a "real mom." Because isn't that what all real moms do? Slave away all day at sewing their children's clothes and canning everything from their garden? (Please sense the tone of sarcasm here.) No really, I was proud of myself. I actually did something that I felt was a really "mom" thing to do. It was REALLY EASY, but it was something new, something domestic and something that Tim and I can enjoy for a long time. I really enjoyed it. I think my dad will to0 once he visits and gets to eat the sweet goodness on whole wheat bread. (I should probably make some whole wheat bread... now task that is a little scary!)
Anyway, here is the proof that I actually did it, and step by step instructions just in case you want to up your skills as a mother. (This is where you give a little chuckle! He He!)
Ingredients and supplies: Strawberries (I used 1 Costco size container and 1 regular size container that you can buy at your local grocery store), sugar, fruit pectin (specially made for making freezer jam), a blender and small containers or jars.

Step 1: I cut all the heads off of the strawberries and then sliced them in half. (Isn't that red color just gorgeous?)

Step 2: Blended/pureed the strawberries in my trusty blender. I like jam that is chunk-free, but you can certainly just mash the strawberries to the consistency you prefer.

Step 3: Measure and pour the pureed strawberries into a large bowl. I did 8 cups. (This is doubled because I have 2 packages of fruit pectin. A single recipe calls for just 4 cups.)

Step 4: In s separate bowl, mix sugar and pectin with a whisk. Make sure they are well blended.


Step 5: Add sugar mixture to strawberries. Stir for 3 minutes. (I don't know why you need to stir for 3 minutes, maybe to make sure it is really blended? I did it anyway. Remember, it was my first time!)


Step 6: Take a picture of your Sweet Girl.

Step 7: Ladel strawberry mixture into containers or jars. Make sure to leave a little room at the top of freezer expansion.

Step 8: Admire your amazing-ness. Oh yeah, and let it stand for about 30 minutes to thicken.

Step 9: Make room in your freezer. Place them in carefully! (Yeah, there's ice cream in there. So what?)

Step 10: Clean up your dishes. Ahhh man!

There you have it! Your 10-step process for making freezer jam! I haven't tried any yet, I am waiting until we finish the store-bought jam in the fridge. Wait, what? I am going to go toast me some toast and slather on some freezer jam goodness right now!
Happy Jamming!
Strawberry Freezer Jam.
For some reason I have always felt that once I cross over into sewing, canning and big time gardening I will have made it. Made it at being a "real mom." Because isn't that what all real moms do? Slave away all day at sewing their children's clothes and canning everything from their garden? (Please sense the tone of sarcasm here.) No really, I was proud of myself. I actually did something that I felt was a really "mom" thing to do. It was REALLY EASY, but it was something new, something domestic and something that Tim and I can enjoy for a long time. I really enjoyed it. I think my dad will to0 once he visits and gets to eat the sweet goodness on whole wheat bread. (I should probably make some whole wheat bread... now task that is a little scary!)
Anyway, here is the proof that I actually did it, and step by step instructions just in case you want to up your skills as a mother. (This is where you give a little chuckle! He He!)
Ingredients and supplies: Strawberries (I used 1 Costco size container and 1 regular size container that you can buy at your local grocery store), sugar, fruit pectin (specially made for making freezer jam), a blender and small containers or jars.
Step 1: I cut all the heads off of the strawberries and then sliced them in half. (Isn't that red color just gorgeous?)
Step 2: Blended/pureed the strawberries in my trusty blender. I like jam that is chunk-free, but you can certainly just mash the strawberries to the consistency you prefer.
Step 3: Measure and pour the pureed strawberries into a large bowl. I did 8 cups. (This is doubled because I have 2 packages of fruit pectin. A single recipe calls for just 4 cups.)
Step 4: In s separate bowl, mix sugar and pectin with a whisk. Make sure they are well blended.
Step 5: Add sugar mixture to strawberries. Stir for 3 minutes. (I don't know why you need to stir for 3 minutes, maybe to make sure it is really blended? I did it anyway. Remember, it was my first time!)
Step 6: Take a picture of your Sweet Girl.
Step 7: Ladel strawberry mixture into containers or jars. Make sure to leave a little room at the top of freezer expansion.
Step 8: Admire your amazing-ness. Oh yeah, and let it stand for about 30 minutes to thicken.
Step 9: Make room in your freezer. Place them in carefully! (Yeah, there's ice cream in there. So what?)
Step 10: Clean up your dishes. Ahhh man!
There you have it! Your 10-step process for making freezer jam! I haven't tried any yet, I am waiting until we finish the store-bought jam in the fridge. Wait, what? I am going to go toast me some toast and slather on some freezer jam goodness right now!
Happy Jamming!
Comments
Happy jamming, Em!
ps. I think Claire coordinates perfectly with the jam.
Second, maybe some day I too can be a REAL mom...here's hopin!