It was inevitable.

She finally did it.

On my watch.

She sat.

She smiled.

She snacked on a puff.

I turned my back.

For only second!

She whined.

She arched backwards.

She rolled.

Off the bed.

I heard a thump.

Then a pause.

I turned around.

Then a horrible scream.

I picked her up.

I started to cry.

We snuggled.

She screamed.

And screamed.

I cried.

And cried.

And cried.

Big tears.

From her.

From me.

Red faces.

Snuggles.

More snuggles.

Rocking.

More rocking.

A plea for forgiveness.

Snuggles.

Forgivness.

Calmness.

Snuggles.

Love.

Comments

Toria said…
oh Em! That is the worst!!! I loved the way you wrote it- precious. I had that happen with Asher and it's sort of haunting- you think about it when you shut your eyes sometimes. Good thing they are resilient! Glad you're forgiven- and yea Claire for rolling over, just next time NOT off the bed!!!
The Jessups said…
Oh Em, it happens to us all. It's the worst feeling, but it happens! Stone was standing up on the bed, trying to bring down our headboard, when he walked towards me, but tripped and fell backwards off the bed. Luckily, for some reason I had just folded to huge quilts and they were stacked on the side, but nonetheless, it happened. I cried, too. Good thing they're tough little people! :)
Your words describe perfectly what every mother experiences.
Danielle said…
Oh Sad! I would have cried too! In fact I almost did just imagining it. Infants are tough cookies though. I bet it hurt you worse.
Kathryn Palmer said…
Oh dear! So sad! Isn't it wonderful how easily they forgive you.
Kate said…
Oh shoot! Don't worry Mark just told me that Charlie fell off the couch the other morning when I was still in bed! And he forgot to tell me until two days later! Glad I wasn't there!
Megan said…
Ahhh, the first time they fall off the bed. I think every kid does it at least once! Destroy fell off the bed right onto his nose right before his first birthday. I remember taking him to get his pictures and I PUT MAKE-UP on my one year old to cover his poor little red nose. Don't worry, you're not a bad mom. It happens to all of us! She probably just got really scared and I'm sure you felt worse than she did!
Paige Holley said…
I think Avery rolled off of something at least 4 times...I hope I am not more careless as more kids come along.