So, I don't know what to do about this. Claire WILL NOT stop chewing the corners of her books. She went through a phase where she would do it constantly then she became more interested in what was in the books, now she is back to chewing them. The other day I was on a call with work and I needed her to be quiet for a minute so I gave her a book, not expecting this:

She chewed the whole corner off! I found a piece of mangled cardboard on the floor and knew that this was not all of the book corner. I looked around where she was sitting, couldn't find anything. She started smiling at me like she was having the best time of her life, mouth wide open, when I saw the second chunk of cardboard! Freaking out, I jammed my finger in there to pull it out. She screamed. I gasped at the size. Needless to say she was not very happy.
But, she loves to play with her books! They are the only thing that keeps her captivated for more then 2 seconds. She carefully turns the pages and picks them up, turning them over and over in her hands. I turn my head for a second and she has the book jammed into her mouth chewing away!
Much to my dismay (one of my favorites and hers too) this book has felt the wrath of her never-ending need to chew.


There used to be a spine, that is now gone. All the corners are chewed and even the hinges on the flaps are holding on for dear life! What do I do to make her stop? Do all babies go through this? Help!
She chewed the whole corner off! I found a piece of mangled cardboard on the floor and knew that this was not all of the book corner. I looked around where she was sitting, couldn't find anything. She started smiling at me like she was having the best time of her life, mouth wide open, when I saw the second chunk of cardboard! Freaking out, I jammed my finger in there to pull it out. She screamed. I gasped at the size. Needless to say she was not very happy.
But, she loves to play with her books! They are the only thing that keeps her captivated for more then 2 seconds. She carefully turns the pages and picks them up, turning them over and over in her hands. I turn my head for a second and she has the book jammed into her mouth chewing away!
Much to my dismay (one of my favorites and hers too) this book has felt the wrath of her never-ending need to chew.
There used to be a spine, that is now gone. All the corners are chewed and even the hinges on the flaps are holding on for dear life! What do I do to make her stop? Do all babies go through this? Help!
Comments
I totally understand. Malisia did this for a little while until we bought the baby einsteins books that have actual chew corners on them. It is still a cloth book and they get the hang of turning the pages and then they can chew on them too.
Just remember, this too shall pass! Good luck until then.
She started reading and writing at 4, so maybe there's something to it.