My husband and I just recently bought our first house about 6 months ago. We have enjoyed being homeowners, but I don't think it has totally sunk all the way in. We have rented houses before and had to do little fix-ups here and there, but if there was anything major we would call the landlord. Well, now we are the "landlord." We have had to fix a couple of things, sinks, garbage disposals, freezers, roof (small leaks), but nothing major quite yet. Thank goodness. We were blessed to find a house that was totally updated on the inside, new kitchen, baths, basement, etc. However, the outside was not. Some windows have been replaced, but not all. It needs a new roof, a new pillar design, new front door, the list goes on. My husband being the practical one, is taking it step by step and doing things we can afford. Me, the designer me, the I-want-it-to-look-cute-right-now me, wants to do everything before the spring to it will look cute when all the flowers start blooming. That is not going to happen. I have tried to explain what I want the house to look like to my husband, but he just never seemed to understand. So, a couple of nights ago, instead of working (sorry boss), I stayed up and "photoshopped" my house (I am not the best in photoshop, but the general look I want is there). I emailed it over to Tim and he actually liked it! He now gets what I have been trying to explain since day one! After feeling sky high about my photoshopped masterpiece, I came quickly back to earth when Tim said, "You know, this probably won't happen for a while, there are other things we need to do before we put in new pillars, a front door and paint." Sadly, I agreed. I felt like a little girl who was just told that she couldn't have the doll she had been admiring for so long in the store window. Oh, well. This waiting now gives me ample time to really figure out how I want this little house to look. I am excited to one day start the facelift, but right now, I have to admit, I am still a little bit scared of having all that big homeownership responsibility! Construction, change, potential disasters, big things that WE have to deal with, not the landlord!



Comments
Have fun remodeling...it's going to look fabulous!
I was thinking about when we wanted to get together to make Kate's onesies.
Ok have a fabulous day!
Patience is a virtue!
I think your house is cute now and I can't wait to see what you guys do with it.
i am happy to find a fellow blogger, but i enter the blogosphere as a mere college student rather than the parent of a cute kid (luckily) and a house to show off (i wish!). i've really liked reading your blog and seeing your new location/life. thanks for letting me know about it.
-julia m.